How to Enable Aftermarket HP Ink Cartridges (which were disabled by the HP Firmware Update)
On September 13th 2016, HP updated inkjet printer firmware which impacted worldwide stockpiles of remanufactured and compatible inkjet cartridges impacting hundreds of cartridge resellers and 10s of thousands of HP printer customers. Impacted ink cartridge series included HP 934/935, HP 950/951 and HP 970/971.
This is the error message some HP inkjet printer owners have seen recently when aftermarket cartridges are installed.
NOTE: Inkplicity ink cartridges are NOT impacted by HP printer firmware updates! All four cartridges will need to have the latest chip revision installed for the printer to function correctly. All Inkplicity.com HP ink cartridges feature the "SCC L J" chip version. It is ok to have a mix of brand new HP original ink cartridges and Inkplicity cartridges (or any refilled ink cartridge from our our retail refill partners via link below) which have the latest chip versions installed. Mixing of these cartridges will function satisfactorily. Save an extra 15% by entering code ‘SAVE15’ on your next purchase during cart checkout:
To order replacement HP 950XL-951XL ink cartridges click here: HP 950XL-951XL 4-Bundle
To order replacement HP 934XL-935XL ink cartridges click here: HP 934XL-935XL 4-Bundle
To order replacement HP 970XL-971XL ink cartridges click here: HP 970XL-971XL 4-Bundle
The firmware update that stopped certain inkjet devices from using some aftermarket inkjet cartridges affected only models using the HP 934/935, HP 950/951, and HP 970/971 cartridges. This included the OfficeJet 6220 series, the OfficeJet 6230 series, the OfficeJet 6810/6820/6830 series, the OfficeJet Pro 8610/8620/8630/8640/8660 series, and the OfficeJet Pro X451/X476/X551/X576 series.
Downloading the firmware update that removes the dynamic security feature is a multistep process. Note that unless you have one of the models listed above, your model was not affected by the firmware update and so a fix to remove the dynamic security feature is neither available nor needed. Ensure you have the latest HP printer firmware installed, click here to see HP downloads page for your printer model. Download and install as necessary: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-OfficeJet-Pro-8610/8620/8630-e-All-in-One-Printer-series/5367603/model/5367606/document/c05308850/
NOTE: For those customers who use OEM cartridges exclusively needn’t bother with this update—unless they think they might change their minds about their cartridge use at some point in the future.
Those interested in downloading the software fix should:
1. Visit support.hp.com and select their country.
2. Select “Find your product.”
3. Select “Printers.”
4. Select “OfficeJet Printers.”
5. Navigate from among the models listed to their particular model. (Selecting from among the model families brings you to a page where specific models are listed.)
6. That should bring you to a page for your model with a number of options, as shown below.
7. Select “Software and Drivers” from the menu on the left-hand side of the page.
8. A new page will appear saying “Go directly to the software and driver results.” Click “Go.”
9. A new page appears asking you to select your operating system and version. Select your operating system (Mac OS or Windows) and the version you have.
10. A new page appears showing “Driver-Product Installation Software” (shown below). Note that the software highlighted as “Important” is not actually the one you need. See at the very bottom of the section where it says “Firmware”? Click there.
11. The screen will expand to show you a firmware version released on October 12, 2016. This is the one you want. If you hit the “Details” button, you will see a message saying, “This firmware update removes previous security firmware that may prevent the printer from working with certain ink supplies that contain non-HP security chips. Please note that even with this change HP cannot guarantee the quality or reliability of non-HP supplies.”
12. Click “Download” to download the new firmware.
The process does involve a lot of steps, not all of which are intuitive, but it should be straightforward for reasonably computer-literate folks to download the firmware fix. Less tech-savvy folks might find the process confusing and frustrating.
NOTE: Click here to view all of our Retail In-Store Ink Refill Partners